United Way’s current Priority Goals for investment focus on specific issues that cut across disadvantaged populations to achieve community impact. To advance these priority goals, we invest for results in terms of people served, program outcomes and lives changed for the better.
These goals are designed to:
- Address root causes or systemic issues
- Offer rich opportunities to align the work with multiple community partners
- Enable evidence-based approaches
- Capitalize on community energy
Priority Goal task forces, volunteer committees, service providers and community stakeholders will continue to guide and contribute to achieving our ten Priority Goals within our three Focus Areas – Growing Up Great, Belonging To Community and Turning Lives Around and our cross-cutting Priority Goal of Agency Capacity Building. Each Priority Goal will be reviewed on a regular basis.
Priority Goal Review process
Turning Lives Around
For Turning Lives Around, there are three recently reviewed Priority Goals:
- People experiencing mental health and/or addictions challenges have access to coordinated community-based supports.
- Ensure people in crisis have access to coordinated and immediate supports.
- Decrease youth homelessness in Ottawa.
Download the complete revised Turning Lives Around Priority Goal descriptions (PDF, 210 KB)
Agency Capacity Building
This Priority Goal has recently been reviewed and is cross-cutting and supports the other goals.
- Strengthening organizations so they have a greater capacity to meet community needs and change more lives.
Download the complete revised Agency Capacity Building Priority Goal description (PDF, 361 KB)
Growing Up Great
Improve conditions for children and youth to reach their full potential.
For Growing Up Great, there are two Priority Goals:
- Decrease the proportion of children not ready for school
- Increase opportunities for children and youth to be engaged outside of school hours
NB - United Way Ottawa is not accepting Requests for Investments for these Priority Goals during this Call for Proposals. Funding agreements for programs that are coming to an end on June 30, 2015 will be extended by one year to June 30, 2016 to align all investments in this Priority Goal.
Download the complete Growing Up Great Priority Goal descriptions (PDF, 456 KB)
Belonging To Community
Improve opportunities for vulnerable people, including seniors, immigrants and people with disabilities, to contribute fully to their communities.
For Belonging To Community, there are four Priority Goals:
- Increase opportunities for meaningful employment for people with disabilities
- Decrease the unemployment and underemployment rates for immigrants and new Canadians
- Enable vulnerable seniors to remain living in their own homes and engaged in their community
- Increase the number of residents in priority neighbourhoods leading their own community development initiatives
NB - United Way Ottawa is not accepting Requests for Investments for the Employment for Immigrants and New Canadians Priority Goal during this Call for Proposals. All current funding agreements are committed until June 30, 2017.
Download the complete Belonging To Community Priority Goal descriptions (PDF, 1.0 MB)