United Way’s current Priority Goals for investment focus on specific issues that cut across disadvantaged populations to achieve community impact. To advance these priority goals, we invest for results in terms of people served, program outcomes and lives changed for the better.
These goals are designed to:
- Address root causes or systemic issues
- Offer rich opportunities to align the work with multiple community partners
- Enable evidence-based approaches
- Capitalize on community energy
Priority Goal task forces, volunteer committees, service providers and community stakeholders will continue to guide and contribute to achieving our ten Priority Goals within our three Focus Areas – Growing Up Great, Belonging To Community and Turning Lives Around and our cross-cutting priority goal of Agency Capacity Building. Each priority goal will be reviewed on a regular basis.
Growing Up Great
Improve conditions for children and youth to reach their full potential.
For Growing Up Great, there are two priority goals:
- Decrease the proportion of children not ready for school
- Increase opportunities for children and youth to be engaged outside of school hours
Download the complete Growing Up Great Priority Goal descriptions (PDF, 456 KB)
Belonging To Community
Improve opportunities for vulnerable people, including seniors, immigrants and people with disabilities, to contribute fully to their communities.
For Belonging To Community, there are four priority goals:
- Increase opportunities for meaningful employment for people with disabilities
- Decrease the unemployment and underemployment rates for immigrants and new Canadians
- Enable vulnerable seniors to remain living in their own homes and engaged in their community
- Increase the number of residents in priority neighbourhoods leading their own community development initiatives
Download the complete Belonging To Community Priority Goal descriptions (PDF, 1.0 MB)
Turning Lives Around
For Turning Lives Around, there are three priority goals:
- Increase access to community-based mental health and substance abuse supports
- Increase access to crisis supports
- Decrease homelessness through housing supports
Download the complete Turning Lives Around Priority Goal descriptions (PDF, 791 KB)
Agency Capacity Building
This priority goal is cross-cutting and supports the other goals.
- Increase the capacity of service delivery partners in the social services sector.
Download the complete Agency Capacity Building Priority Goal description (PDF, 254 KB)